Progress report [?]

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Progress report [?]

Post  Nikephoros on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:47 am

I was thinking: we need a list of what needs to be done, and possibly in what order, to accelerate the game development and to reach a beta as soon as possible.
It's a great concept, and it would be a pity to see it wasted.

So, to the moderators, feel free to edit this post.

GAME MATERIALS
- Faction stuff (models&textures)
- Map
- Menagement program

GAME MECHANICS
- Role of the players
- Production system
- Weapons and troops balancement
- Movement system
- Recruitment system
- Upkeep system
- Diplomacy

Where are we?
Did i forget anything?
Nikephoros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Progress report [?]

Post  Arch3r on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:05 am

I think we should begin at beginning, by determining how, where on the map and with what resources a clan/faction starts.
Arch3r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CFR on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:14 am

I just got home, Im off to work in 3 hours though and so unlikely to do any more today or tomorrow, I have booked the morning off work on Wednesday to push on as I go away again on Thursday morning and want to get the net stage of the map, I have been reading the posts and have compliled a 10 page A4 list in size 9 font of the game features across all sections and have started filling in an pad with how I will link stuff up and connections, I have taken want I can from the discussions and so I hope you will like what I am doing.

I will next be doing the resources and sorting out the clans locations ect..

Will be hard but good, and the next update should show some the background features you currently can not see on the map.
CFR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikephoros on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:09 am

Arch3r wrote:I think we should begin at beginning, by determining how, where on the map and with what resources a clan/faction starts.

To do that we need to have a CERTAIN number of clans, and have clearly in mind how the production system will work.

But i second this, it's one of the most important aspects of the campaign.
Nikephoros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:20 am

We already have a CERTAIN number of clans, look in the clan array, any clan thread without the info needed for that first deadline that has passed won't be in the first try.
Arch3r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The beginning

Post  Arch3r on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:03 am

I think we should start REALLY simple. Like each participating clan will have two armies and one village. Village produces coin (only resource for the first mini-pre-alpha) that allows for a new troop for either army each turn. Both armies have a lord and unnamed soldiers (15 to begin with in both), villages and armies spread out over the map and can move each turn.

Let's say a troop costs 5 coin, and the village produces 5 coin. Villages can be captured. To buy troops for an army, that army has to be on the village tile. Armies can move one tile each turn.
Each army starts with a lord and 5 unnamed Tier-2 player troops (factions may choose) and 10 unnamed Tier-2 bot troops.

Very simple, also CFR would have a goal for the site that would make this possible (no idea how long that would take him) and we have our first mini-game.
Arch3r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CFR on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:43 am

Sounds simple enough I will add that next I am going home tommorrow and from Monday life will be back to normal for a few weeks so time will be back while its been slow at the moment.

I have also done the map fullscreen need to add movement to it though will sort that later and focus on the map for now.

Ok so
Each Faction has 1 village - this can be captured
Tier 1 troop/ villagers inhabite.
1 basic tier 2 troop costs 5 gold and 1 villager.
Army must be on village tile to recruit.
Armies can move 1 tile each turn.
Each Faction has 1 Lord and 5 players + 10 bots.

Just check this is correct and I will get started.

Also guessing the Village producing 5 gold is per turn?
Was thinking for this make it so you get a constant yield ie, 5 gp per hour and so every 12 mins you would receive 1 gold.

Though how will turns work?
CFR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:29 am

Let's split the system in Rounds (each faction=clan has one turn in a round, so when all clans have done their turns, one round is over and the first clan does it's turn again)

The order of factions is to stay the same, like:
Kingdom of Blabla goes first
Kingdom of Lawlzors goes second
Supermen Republic goes third
Round over,
Kingdom of Blabla makes their second turn
Than Kingdom of Lawlzors their second turn...etc

Gold is added at the end of a turn. (So at turn 1 all factions have 0 coin, at turn 2 that's 5)
Also each clan/faction has 2 armies with 1 Lord and 5 players + 10 bots EACH (so 2 lords, 10 players and 20 bots in total).
1 basic Tier-2 troop costs 5 gold, no villagers and population yet.
With the rest you are right.
Diplomacy is up to the factions and should sort itself out. So alliances ARE ALLOWED.

Also a time system could be a good idea, but not for the first version.
Arch3r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CFR on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 am

Its easier to set up a time system from the start. So if your happy I would like to start it from the beginning.

Also the issue I see with rounds is if one clan does not act for a week it stops the game, from moving forward.

Diplomacy I will leave till the second update as I will add fog of war with that update. I will leave the villagers till this update as well then.

I also think 1 army for the initial version though if you rather I will add 2.

Last thing, which factions will be in the pre alpha alpha mega awesome alpha.

Anything else?
CFR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:15 am

Ye I think 2 armies is better, adds some more strategy and shouldn't be too hard. Nope nothing else, but how did you have the time in mind? My idea was if a clan doesn't do his turn within 3 days than their turn is ended without any moves but they still get the money and resources. Did you imagine clans getting 1 turn each day or something?
Arch3r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Plazek on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Sounds good, everything starts simply. But nothing gets finished that doesnt start!

Plazek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikephoros on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:35 pm

I made just a quick read, tonight, so correct me if i'm wrong: only one tile movement, with our huge map, is really not enough, and strategically of little value.

Maybe 4-5 tiles for infantry, 8-10 for cavalry?
Maybe the more men, the less the movement?
Of course, mixed armies will go at the slowest units' speed.
Nikephoros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Maybe villages should cover up 1 tile if small, and when upgraded also the surrounding 6 tiles (making 7 tiles) etc...?
Arch3r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikephoros on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:47 pm

As a start up, to give a solid-but-not-excessive economic backbone, shall we allow a town (generating, if i don't go wrong, 10 gold) and 2 villages?

This will allow more room for decisions to the factions. Recruiting more tier 1 units from the beginning, or upgrading the training facilities?

And how long is a turn going to last, IRL? A week? A day?

We need to sort that out.
Nikephoros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:19 pm

Let's start with only a part of the map (so all factions quite close) and just one village. After that we can use more parts of the map, starting with some other resources (population?) and more villages and different kind of settlements (forts maybe).
Also I had in mind that, Total War style, each clan makes his turn after another, and if they don't do it within 3 days, than their turn passes. Than the clan after them has to make it's turn.
Arch3r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CFR on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:17 pm

That is still a long time, imagine 10 teams say each takes 3 days that is 1 month to do 1 move.
I feel you should have it more real time ie, each team gets 1 mp every 2 hours and can save up to a max of 3. This way if you do not move its the same as camping or resting. Thus being more realistic, remember you can give access to other clan members to update so gives intensive to become closer as a clan and encourage teams to become a little more international, though need to be registered.

Also I think all ie village, town city take 1 hex but you get additional tiles adjacent to gather resources.
Military Centres;
Outpost = 0, Fort = 0, Castle = 1.
Economic Centres;
Village = 1, Town = 2, City = 3.

So Economic Centres, give increase resource yield though would limit the troops that can be trained. Also Troops in Military Centres wage would be decreased.
This makes use of a few extra tiles without overcrowding the map, it also means you can attack the gather tiles to slow an enemies resource production.

I will set the village locations fairly central on the map, and we can then work on addition of population and wages, once we have an alpha alpha.
CFR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:44 am

I still think that when a village grows very big, to a metropolis or city, that it should use 7 tiles. As long as they're expensive enough there probably won't be much of them.
Arch3r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CFR on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:01 am

Ok seems fair but the change to time are you happy with as I will begin the programming in a day and half though need to run, just got home need to get ready for work and rush off.
CFR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Austupaio on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:15 am

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just trying to figure out how this works.

So let's say that it's the CoR's turn and they attack the Fantasian's two unit army with their three unit army.

You will then try to organize a clan v. clan match to decide the winner? How exactly does one unit on the campaign map translate into the match itself?
Austupaio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:21 am

Roleplaying, first we use 2 minutes or so to prepare positions (round time would be on max or disabled in whole) than the fighting starts.
Also the players need to pick classes that represent the campaign troops.
Arch3r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikephoros on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:23 pm

A few points i thought about:

1) I think with all the clans, 1 turn=1 day should be enough. Giving more than 1 day will take too longer for a whole game turn to complete, and will dissolve the sense of "strategic hurgence", in my opinion.

2) If the factions start close, there will be very little time to build up a good enough kingdom to enjoy the game at its best. There's going to be the chance of clans annihilated from the very beginning.

3) what about clan size? shall smaller clans start with the same resources and stuff of larger clans?

4) we have EU and US clans playing. In which servers are we playing? Continental server of the defending faction?
Nikephoros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Plazek on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:40 pm

If you allow things such as forced vassalisation, becoming mercenaries when you lose your fiefs and having to find a new home or other such measures that allow a cycle from kingdom -> lose kingdom ->start a new one. Then it would not be a problem if you got annhialated early. Unles you were wiped off the face of the entire map but then you kind of deserve to lose.

Plazek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:56 am

Nikephoros wrote:A few points i thought about:

1) I think with all the clans, 1 turn=1 day should be enough. Giving more than 1 day will take too longer for a whole game turn to complete, and will dissolve the sense of "strategic hurgence", in my opinion.

2) If the factions start close, there will be very little time to build up a good enough kingdom to enjoy the game at its best. There's going to be the chance of clans annihilated from the very beginning.

3) what about clan size? shall smaller clans start with the same resources and stuff of larger clans?

4) we have EU and US clans playing. In which servers are we playing? Continental server of the defending faction?
Kingdom building won 't be in the first alpha, it will just be trying some battles and figuring out strategies and balance.
In the alpha smaller clans start with the same amount of troops to make it easier, but later this will most probably change.
Also I like the idea of that the defending faction picks a server.
Arch3r
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikephoros on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Ok, perfect, i didn't got that the Alpha wouldn't have kingdom building Smile
Nikephoros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CFR on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:53 pm

cool cool, work will begin tomorrow as I will be taking the rest of the day to rest as very tired. But all clans will work on the same time scale 1 turn per day, this is per army.
I need a list of the alpha alpha teams and the leader for each.
CFR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top